Debut Biotech is a high-growth company located in sunny San Diego, CA. At the heart of our ethos is the ability of synthetic biology to create over 60% of the material inputs for society to provide a sustainable future. While many have attempted to achieve this goal using traditional fermentation, no platform can convert low-cost renewable feedstocks into ANY material; our advanced biomanufacturing platform will be the first. At Debut, we promise that your day-to-day innovation will drive us closer to realizing this critical vision and that failure is OK when shooting for the stars; if you’re not failing, you’re not pushing hard enough. We genuinely believe that Debut will be THE biomanufacturing company and the vision for a better tomorrow motivates our team. If you are passionate, like fast-paced innovation and close-knit teams, then Debut is for you.
As a Systems Bioengineer your primary focus will be on designing and performing various omic experiments and flux distribution analysis to identify bottlenecks of metabolic pathways and rationally design cell lines. You will also assist in mapping novel metabolic pathways and identifying alternative routes to make target molecules. You will work closely with our strain engineering and fermentation teams to come up hypothesis-driven experiments and execute with precision. You will design, perform, and analyze transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics, and C13 labelling experiments, and identify primary targets for cell line improvement. As part of the metabolic engineering team, you will play a key role in driving our iterative strain engineering process.
- PhD with 4+ years of experience in system biology, metabolic engineering or other related fields
- Deep knowledge in the central metabolism of E. coli and modeling of metabolic pathways
- Experience in omics, flux distribution analysis, and C13 labeling with a proven track record of improved metabolic pathways
- Strong analytical skill to perform data mining of in vivo experiments and provide deep insights into cell metabolism and pathway flux
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills to facilitate interactions with a highly interdisciplinary team
- Experience with reference mapping of WGS is a plus
- Willing to assist sampling from fermenters
- Must be willing to work non-standard hours supporting a 24/7 operation including weekends
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check.
- Must be willing to work with biohazardous agents (up to BSL2).
- Work requires sufficient hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate computer keyboard and office equipment. Laboratory operations require dexterity and care to perform studies as required.
- The R&D laboratory will result in exposure to hot and cold temperatures, noise, fumes, limited dust, and oily coolants.
- Requires walking, climbing stairs, bending and occasional lifting of material up to fifty (50) pounds.
- The performance of this position will present exposure to an industrial environment and requires support and compliance with the published Company PPE policy including but not limited to the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields, appropriate attire, safety shoes, hard hat, hearing protection, etc.
- Debut Biotech is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
- 6% Matched 401K program
- Dental, health, and vision insurance
- 20 days PTO
- Stock options
- Flexible schedule
- Maternity and paternity leave
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $95,000.00 – $115,000.00 per year