Debut Biotech is a high-growth company located in sunny San Diego, CA. At the heart of our ethos is the ability of synthetic biology to create over 60% of the material inputs for society to provide a sustainable future. While many have attempted to achieve this goal using traditional fermentation, no platform can convert low-cost renewable feedstocks into ANY material; our advanced biomanufacturing platform will be the first. At Debut, we promise that your day-to-day innovation will drive us closer to realizing this critical vision and that failure is OK when shooting for the stars; if you’re not failing, you’re not pushing hard enough. We genuinely believe that Debut will be THE biomanufacturing company and the vision for a better tomorrow motivates our team. If you are passionate, like fast-paced innovation and close-knit teams, then Debut is for you.
Debut is growing its fermentation team to commercialize high value small molecules. As our senior fermentation engineer you will lead the translation of fermentation from small scale assay to pilot scale with exquisite attention to detail. The senior fermentation engineer will develop our fermentation processes and must display strong technical knowledge, scientific commitment, and dedication to the mission, vision, and clients of Debut Biotech. You will design, run, and analyze microbial fermentation experiments to maximize understanding and performance of strains to meet project goals. You will use technical proficiency, scientific creativity, collaboration with others and independent thought to work on complex problems in which analysis of situations or data requires an evaluation of intangible variables while exercising independent judgment in developing methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results and new technologies for improving upstream fermentation processes. As a senior fermentation engineer you will supervise and mentor junior staff and provide insight and technical expertise for project progression while preparing presentations to communicate scientific progress. You must be able to work closely with other members of the process development teams and participate on multidisciplinary project teams. Finally, you must develop standard operating procedures, document protocols, and participate in the preparation of technical reports and technology transfers.
- PhD with 6+ years of experience or MS with 10+ year’s experience in microbiology, bioprocessing engineering, chemical Engineering, or a related field
- Expert in fermentation processes from small scale to pilot production levels (1000L +)
- Experience in secondary metabolite production in different cell hosts with required experience in E. coli
- Experience with fermentation equipment at bench, pilot, and industrial scale.
- Experience with DOE methodology for improving fermentation titers
- The ability to work in a team-oriented environment and have daily feedback
- Demonstrated track record of working on teams cross-functionally to exceed goals
- Analytical, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and adaptable
- Motivated by a sense of urgency, attention to detail, and an engrained penchant for professional development of themselves and their co-workers
- Must be willing to work non-standard hours supporting a 24/7 operation including weekends
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check.
- Must be willing to work with biohazardous agents (up to BSL2).
- Work requires sufficient hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate computer keyboard and office equipment. Laboratory operations require dexterity and care to perform studies as required.
- The R&D laboratory will result in exposure to hot and cold temperatures, noise, fumes, limited dust, and oily coolants.
- Requires walking, climbing stairs, bending and occasional lifting of material up to fifty (50) pounds.
- The performance of this position will present exposure to an industrial environment and requires support and compliance with the published Company PPE policy including but not limited to the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields, appropriate attire, safety shoes, hard hat, hearing protection, etc.
- Debut Biotech is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
- 6% Matched 401K program
- Dental, health, and vision insurance
- 20 days PTO
- Stock options
- Flexible schedule
- Maternity and paternity leave
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $140,000.00 – $175,000.00 per year