Debut Biotech is a high-growth company located in sunny San Diego, CA. At the heart of our ethos is the ability of synthetic biology to create over 60% of the material inputs for society to provide a sustainable future. While many have attempted to achieve this goal using traditional fermentation, no platform can convert low-cost renewable feedstocks into ANY material; our advanced biomanufacturing platform will be the first. At Debut, we promise that your day-to-day innovation will drive us closer to realizing this critical vision and that failure is OK when shooting for the stars; if you’re not failing, you’re not pushing hard enough. We genuinely believe that Debut will be THE biomanufacturing company and the vision for a better tomorrow motivates our team. If you are passionate, like fast-paced innovation and close-knit teams, then Debut is for you.
As a Scientist in our downstream processing team your focus will be on supporting the purification and isolation of small molecules produced by our biomanufacturing system. The successful candidate will implement processes to recover of our fermentation and cell-free products. You will execute laboratory and pilot experiments to optimize key process parameters. You will help in experimental design of downstream experiments and will record data in our laboratory database, perform data analysis to understand the tradeoffs between process parameters and key performance indicators, and think critically about data and apply fundamental principles to understand our systems. You will troubleshoot equipment and process issues and implement corrective actions. We need the person to apply creative problem solving to improve laboratory operations and collaborate and communicate effectively with internal teams
- PhD with 3+ years of experience or a BS/MS with 5+ years of experience in downstream processing
- Experience in small molecule isolation from fermentation and enzyme processes
- Experience in downstream unit operations and optimization of each process
- The ability to work in a team-oriented environment
- Analytical, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and adaptable
- Motivated by a sense of urgency, attention to detail, and an engrained penchant for professional development of themselves and their co-worker
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to learn quickly in a fast-paced startup environment
- Must be willing to work non-standard hours supporting a 24/7 operation including weekends
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check.
- Must be willing to work with biohazardous agents (up to BSL2).
- Work requires sufficient hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate computer keyboard and office equipment. Laboratory operations require dexterity and care to perform studies as required.
- The R&D laboratory will result in exposure to hot and cold temperatures, noise, fumes, limited dust, and oily coolants.
- Requires walking, climbing stairs, bending and occasional lifting of material up to fifty (50) pounds.
- The performance of this position will present exposure to an industrial environment and requires support and compliance with the published Company PPE policy including but not limited to the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields, appropriate attire, safety shoes, hard hat, hearing protection, etc.
- Debut Biotech is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
- 6% Matched 401K program
- Dental, health, and vision insurance
- 20 days PTO
- Stock options
- Flexible schedule
- Maternity and paternity leave
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $95,000.00 – $115,000.00 per year