Debut Biotech is a high-growth company located in sunny San Diego, CA. At the heart of our ethos is the ability of synthetic biology to create over 60% of the material inputs for society to provide a sustainable future. While many have attempted to achieve this goal using traditional fermentation, no platform can convert low-cost renewable feedstocks into ANY material; our advanced biomanufacturing platform will be the first. At Debut, we promise that your day-to-day innovation will drive us closer to realizing this critical vision and that failure is OK when shooting for the stars; if you’re not failing, you’re not pushing hard enough. We genuinely believe that Debut will be THE biomanufacturing company and the vision for a better tomorrow motivates our team. If you are passionate, like fast-paced innovation and close-knit teams, then Debut is for you.
The protein engineering group is seeking a self-driven and energetic data engineer/scientist to help organize, aggregate, and analyze data, toward its conversion to knowledge. In this role, you will be responsible for shaping both Debut’s internal data management system and for aggregation and analysis of data to help answer scientific questions. The exact level of this position will be based on experience and qualifications, and as such, we encourage all interested candidates to apply. Your role will include developing data pipelines and automated scripts that effectively capture lab data/metadata and structure them into our databases for later use, contributing to the design and maintenance of Debut’s scientific databases, and developing custom bioinformatics packages and user interfaces for collection, analysis, and visualization of scientific data. Also, the successful candidate will analyze datasets to discover structure/sequence-function-relationships and leverage learnings to design iterative protein engineering libraries, collaborate with team members from various disciplines to develop and implement computational pipelines to reduce time-to-answer in core research questions, will work as a team member to troubleshoot and solve informatics issues, and will collaborate to provision appropriate resources and strategy for growth as laboratory data requirements evolve and also maintain servers and applications over time.
- A BS/MS/PhD in life sciences, bioinformatics, computational biology, physical sciences, or equivalent experience +2 years of experience in the biotech or related industries working with large datasets
- Experience in database design and management and writing queries for SQL and document databases
- Programming experience with modern Python and familiarity with scientific computing using biopython, numpy, scipy, pandas and sklearn
- Strong scientific understanding of either molecular biology, chemistry, or physics; experimental background or experience in molecular biology, biochemistry, or biochemical assays a plus
- Hands on experience with data aggregation, manipulation, integration, mining, and analysis
- Conceive and craft scientific pipelines to generate new insights from high-throughput screening data
- A good understanding of statistical methodologies and machine learning algorithms often applied in the computational biology/bioinformatics field
- Demonstrated experience in writing custom ad-hoc scripts and web apps using Shiny, Flask, Dash, Jupyter etc.
- Demonstrated experience with machine learning techniques, Bayesian statistics and multivariate analysis
- Experience using and configuring cloud-based computing environments (e.g., AWS/Azure/Google Cloud)
- Must be willing to work non-standard hours supporting a 24/7 operation including weekends
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check.
- Must be willing to work with biohazardous agents (up to BSL2).
- Work requires sufficient hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate computer keyboard and office equipment. Laboratory operations require dexterity and care to perform studies as required.
- The R&D laboratory will result in exposure to hot and cold temperatures, noise, fumes, limited dust, and oily coolants.
- Requires walking, climbing stairs, bending and occasional lifting of material up to fifty (50) pounds.
- The performance of this position will present exposure to an industrial environment and requires support and compliance with the published Company PPE policy including but not limited to the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields, appropriate attire, safety shoes, hard hat, hearing protection, etc.
- Debut Biotech is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
- 6% Matched 401K program
- Dental, health, and vision insurance
- 20 days PTO
- Stock options
- Flexible schedule
- Maternity and paternity leave
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $95,000.00 – $115,000.00 per year