Debut Biotech is a high-growth company located in sunny San Diego, CA. At the heart of our ethos is the ability of synthetic biology to create over 60% of the material inputs for society to provide a sustainable future. While many have attempted to achieve this goal using traditional fermentation, no platform can convert low-cost renewable feedstocks into ANY material; our advanced biomanufacturing platform will be the first. At Debut, we promise that your day-to-day innovation will drive us closer to realizing this critical vision and that failure is OK when shooting for the stars; if you’re not failing, you’re not pushing hard enough. We genuinely believe that Debut will be THE biomanufacturing company and the vision for a better tomorrow motivates our team. If you are passionate, like fast-paced innovation and close-knit teams, then Debut is for you.
Debut is seeking a chemist to explore novel bioconjugation and surface modifications methods to afford enhanced protein immobilization structures for continuous manufacturing applications. The candidate will work alongside our cell-free and protein engineering teams to design, build, and test chemical attachment approaches for enzymes. The candidate will be responsible for developing attachment and surface modification chemistry, analyzing resulting enzyme-support structures, and will collaborate with our process department to scale the attachment chemistry. The successful candidate will also accurately record and summarize data, communicate key findings to the relevant stakeholders and contribute to writing of progress reports and patents, and keep abreast of the most recent advances in technology and strive to improve Debut novel immobilization platforms.
- A BS/MS/PhD in chemistry or biochemistry with +2 years of experience
- Experience in enzyme catalysis
- Experience in protein immobilization is a plus
- Experience in surface modification chemistry is a plus
- Experience in continuous manufacturing is a plus
- Experience in analytical techniques such as HPLC, GCMS, IR, FTIR, and UV
- A working knowledge of enzyme kinetics
- Experience in multi-step chemical reactions and reaction workups
- Knowledge of key chemical transformations
- Can propose synthetic pathways to create desired compounds with sound retrosynthetic capabilities
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check.
- Must be willing to work with biohazardous agents (up to BSL2).
- Work requires sufficient hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate computer keyboard and office equipment. Laboratory operations require dexterity and care to perform studies as required.
- The R&D laboratory will result in exposure to hot and cold temperatures, noise, fumes, limited dust, and oily coolants.
- Requires walking, climbing stairs, bending and occasional lifting of material up to fifty (50) pounds.
- The performance of this position will present exposure to an industrial environment and requires support and compliance with the published Company PPE policy including but not limited to the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields, appropriate attire, safety shoes, hard hat, hearing protection, etc.
- Debut Biotech is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
- 6% Matched 401K program
- Dental, health, and vision insurance
- 20 days PTO
- Stock options
- Flexible schedule
- Maternity and paternity leave
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $75,000.00 – $115,000.00 per year