Debut Biotech is a high-growth company located in sunny San Diego, CA. At the heart of our ethos is the ability of synthetic biology to create over 60% of the material inputs for society to provide a sustainable future. While many have attempted to achieve this goal using traditional fermentation, no platform can convert low-cost renewable feedstocks into ANY material; our advanced biomanufacturing platform will be the first. At Debut, we promise that your day-to-day innovation will drive us closer to realizing this critical vision and that failure is OK when shooting for the stars; if you’re not failing, you’re not pushing hard enough. We genuinely believe that Debut will be THE biomanufacturing company and the vision for a better tomorrow motivates our team. If you are passionate, like fast-paced innovation and close-knit teams, then Debut is for you.
Debut Biotechnology is hiring a full-time Research Associate in Protein Expression and Purification focused on harnessing enzymes to produce specialty chemicals. The successful candidate will work in a fast-paced team to advance our cell-free platform technology. Candidates must demonstrate a sense of urgency, contagious optimism, and a can-do attitude. They must lead by example and hold themselves and others accountable while maintaining productive and professional relationships within the team.
We are looking for candidates with a sense of urgency, contagious optimism, and a can-do attitude. They must lead by example and hold themselves and others accountable while maintaining productive and professional relationships within the team.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or other related disciplines with 3+ years of relevant protein purification experience. Or a master’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry or other related disciplines with 1+ years of relevant protein purification experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of scientific laboratory techniques, equipment and materials required. Experience in the use of standard laboratory techniques, including buffer preparation, column purification/ chromatography, SDS-Page Analysis, Western Blotting, and other protein characterization techniques.
- Experienced in protein purification using AKTA system.
- The ability to perform high-throughput assays and develop new assays when needed
- The ability to use typical analysis equipment such as a 96-well plate absorbance reader.
- Expert level operation of GE AKTA FPLC protein chromatography equipment and ability to write chromatography programs in Unicorn software or equivalent system.
- Experience with different modes of chromatography such as: affinity, ion-exchange, size exclusion, hydrophobic interaction. Understanding of protein/resin interactions and protein chemistry.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check.
- Must be willing to work with biohazardous agents (up to BSL2).
- Work requires sufficient hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate computer keyboard and office equipment. Laboratory operations require dexterity and care to perform studies as required.
- The R&D laboratory will result in exposure to hot and cold temperatures, noise, fumes, limited dust, and oily coolants.
- Requires walking, climbing stairs, bending and occasional lifting of material up to fifty (50) pounds.
- The performance of this position will present exposure to an industrial environment and requires support and compliance with the published Company PPE policy including but not limited to the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields, appropriate attire, safety shoes, hard hat, hearing protection, etc.
- Must be willing to occasionally work non-standard hours supporting a 24/7 operation.
Debut Biotech is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
To learn more about Debut Biotech please see:
Debut Biotech Raises $22.6M in Series A Financing:
Debut Biotech teams up with DIC to explore novel, ‘cell-free’ approach to biomanufacturing natural food colors:
DSM Agrees to Evaluate Debut’s Scalable Cell-Free Manufacturing Platform (Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News): https://www.genengnews.com/topics/bioprocessing/dsm-agrees-to-evaluate-debut-biotechs-scalable-cell-free-manufacturing-platform/
Next gen cell-free biomanufacturing could unlock opportunities to synthesize natural ingredients (Food Navigator-USA):
Our website and additional press: https://debutbiotech.com