Debut Biotech is a high-growth company located in sunny San Diego, CA. At the heart of our ethos is the ability of synthetic biology to create over 60% of the material inputs for society to provide a sustainable future. While many have attempted to achieve this goal using traditional fermentation, no platform can convert low-cost renewable feedstocks into ANY material; our advanced biomanufacturing platform will be the first. At Debut, we promise that your day-to-day innovation will drive us closer to realizing this critical vision and that failure is OK when shooting for the stars; if you’re not failing, you’re not pushing hard enough. We genuinely believe that Debut will be THE biomanufacturing company and the vision for a better tomorrow motivates our team. If you are passionate, like fast-paced innovation and close-knit teams, then Debut is for you.
Debut Biotechnology is seeking a Research Associate to aid in microbial fermentation processes for small molecule production. Research Associate II and Senior Research Associates will also be strongly considered. This individual should be versed in fermentation science and have a basic understanding of microbial physiology, secondary metabolism, and biosynthetic pathways. Debut is seeking an energetic, creative, and highly self-motivated individual who enjoys complex challenges. The successful candidate will interact closely with molecular biologists, chemists, and engineers and is directly responsible for small molecule product commercialization.
- Design and run fermentation experiments across multiple volumes
- Analyze fermentation experiments to maximize understanding of strain performance
- Optimize the fermentation processes by operating numerous parameters
- High throughput experiment optimization across multiple reaction volumes
- Reactor maintenance
- Media, buffer and chemical solution preparation
- Evening/nights and weekend work may be required on occasions
- Requires a BS in biotechnology, microbiology, or fermentation with a minimum of 2 years’ experience
- Attention to details and meticulous record keeping is required.
- Experience analyzing fermentation experiments is a plus
- Experience using tools and software to analyze large datasets is a plus
- Experience with running DOE experiments is a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills are an essential characteristic of a successful candidate due to the highly collaborative nature of the position
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and balance multiple projects
- Experience with small molecule fermentation is a plus
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check.
- Must be willing to work with biohazardous agents (up to BSL2).
- Work requires sufficient hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate computer keyboard and office equipment. Laboratory operations require dexterity and care to perform studies as required.
- The R&D laboratory will result in exposure to hot and cold temperatures, noise, fumes, limited dust, and oily coolants.
- Requires walking, climbing stairs, bending and occasional lifting of material up to fifty (50) pounds.
- The performance of this position will present exposure to an industrial environment and requires support and compliance with the published Company PPE policy including but not limited to the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields, appropriate attire, safety shoes, hard hat, hearing protection, etc.
- Debut Biotech is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
To learn more about Debut please see:
DSM Agrees to Evaluate Debut’s Scalable Cell-Free Manufacturing Platform (Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News): https://www.genengnews.com/topics/bioprocessing/dsm-agrees-to-evaluate-debut-biotechs-scalable-cell-free-manufacturing-platform/
Next gen cell-free biomanufacturing could unlock opportunities to synthesize natural ingredients (Food Navigator-USA): https://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/Article/2021/03/23/Next-gen-cell-free-biomanufacturing-could-unlock-opportunities-to-biosynthesize-far-wider-set-of-natural-ingredients-claims-startup
Debut Biotech Awarded $1M from Air Force Research Lab for aerospace applications of cell-free biomanufacturing (PRWeb): https://www.prweb.com/releases/debut_biotechnology_awarded_1m_from_air_force_research_lab_to_leverage_cell_free_continuous_biomanufacturing_in_aerospace_applications/prweb17394934.htm
Our website: https://debutbiotech.com