Debut Biotech is a high-growth company located in sunny San Diego, CA. At the heart of our ethos is the ability of synthetic biology to create over 60% of the material inputs for society to provide a sustainable future. While many have attempted to achieve this goal using traditional fermentation, no platform can convert low-cost renewable feedstocks into ANY material; our advanced biomanufacturing platform will be the first. At Debut, we promise that your day-to-day innovation will drive us closer to realizing this critical vision and that failure is OK when shooting for the stars; if you’re not failing, you’re not pushing hard enough. We genuinely believe that Debut will be THE biomanufacturing company and the vision for a better tomorrow motivates our team. If you are passionate, like fast-paced innovation and close-knit teams, then Debut is for you.
Debut Biotechnology is seeking a senior research associate to aid in downstream processing to support the purification and isolation of small molecules produced by our biomanufacturing system. The ideal candidate will apply creative problem solving to improve laboratory operations and collaborate and communicate effectively with internal teams.
- The successful candidate will implement processes to recover of our fermentation and cell-free products through organic chemistry extraction and purification protocols. You will execute laboratory and pilot experiments to optimize key process parameters.
- You will troubleshoot organic chemistry equipment and process issues and implement corrective actions.
- Work closely with colleagues in the fermentation and strain development teams to develop post-fermentation processes that meet cost and environmental targets
- Author documentation such as SOPs, testing protocols, methods, and batch-record sheets.
- BS in related field and 2+ years of experience in organic chemistry or downstream processing
- Experience in small molecule isolation from fermentation and enzyme processes
- The ability to work in a team-oriented environment
- Analytical, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and adaptable
- Motivated by a sense of urgency, attention to detail, and an engrained penchant for professional development of themselves and their co-worker
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to learn quickly in a fast-paced startup environment
- Experience with various analytical techniques and equipment such as HPLC, LC/MS UV/Visual spectrophotometry, and TLC is a plus.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check.
- Must be willing to work with biohazardous agents (up to BSL2).
- Work requires sufficient hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate computer keyboard and office equipment. Laboratory operations require dexterity and care to perform studies as required.
- The R&D laboratory will result in exposure to hot and cold temperatures, noise, fumes, limited dust, and oily coolants.
- Requires walking, climbing stairs, bending and occasional lifting of material up to fifty (50) pounds.
- The performance of this position will present exposure to an industrial environment and requires support and compliance with the published Company PPE policy including but not limited to the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields, appropriate attire, safety shoes, hard hat, hearing protection, etc.
- Debut Biotech is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
To learn more about Debut please visit:
DSM Agrees to Evaluate Debut’s Scalable Cell-Free Manufacturing Platform (Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News): https://www.genengnews.com/topics/bioprocessing/dsm-agrees-to-evaluate-debut-biotechs-scalable-cell-free-manufacturing-platform/
Next gen cell-free biomanufacturing could unlock opportunities to synthesize natural ingredients (Food Navigator-USA): https://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/Article/2021/03/23/Next-gen-cell-free-biomanufacturing-could-unlock-opportunities-to-biosynthesize-far-wider-set-of-natural-ingredients-claims-startup
Debut Biotech Awarded $1M from Air Force Research Lab for aerospace applications of cell-free biomanufacturing (PRWeb): https://www.prweb.com/releases/debut_biotechnology_awarded_1m_from_air_force_research_lab_to_leverage_cell_free_continuous_biomanufacturing_in_aerospace_applications/prweb17394934.htm
Company website: https://debutbiotech.com