Debut Biotech is a San Diego-based company leading the biomanufacturing revolution for a cleaner and healthier world. At the heart of our ethos is the ability of synthetic biology to create over 60% of the material inputs for society to provide a sustainable future. At Debut, we promise that your day-to-day innovation will drive us closer to realizing this critical vision and that failure is OK when shooting for the stars; if you’re not failing, you’re not pushing hard enough. We genuinely believe that Debut will be THE biomanufacturing company and the vision for a better tomorrow motivates our team. If you are passionate, like fast-paced innovation and close-knit teams, then Debut is for you.
Debut Biotech is hiring a full-time Research Associate for our rapidly growing team. You will work closely with other project team members and our external partner to advance the science. This project will initially focus on creating rare, beneficial, naturally occurring ingredients with our proprietary cell-free platform. You will have the opportunity to expand your technical skill set while working on cutting-edge core technology on this team. We are looking for candidates with a sense of urgency, contagious optimism, and a can-do attitude. They must lead by example and hold themselves and others accountable while maintaining productive and professional relationships within the team.
Primary responsibilities are as follows:
- Perform common molecular biology techniques to support the team
- DNA manipulation, E.coli transformation
- Protein expression and purification
- Set up and run established enzyme activity assays
- Record experiments in detailed lab notebooks
- Experience in biology, microbiology, synthetic biology, or a related field
- Familiar with standard molecular biology methods and techniques (PCR, transformation, protein purification, electrophoresis)
- Strong collaborative skills and ability to excel in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to learn quickly and attention to detail
- May be required to stand for long periods while performing duties
- Must be flexible to work varying schedules and hours as needed
- Must be able to work safely with chemicals and hazardous materials
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check.
- Must be willing to work with biohazardous agents (up to BSL2).
- Work requires good hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate a computer keyboard and office equipment. Laboratory operations require skill and care to perform studies as required.
- The R&D laboratory will result in exposure to hot and cold temperatures, noise, fumes, limited dust, and oily coolants.
- Requires walking, climbing stairs, bending, and occasional lifting of material up to fifty (50) pounds.
- The performance of this position will present exposure to an industrial environment and requires support and compliance with the published Company PPE policy, including but not limited to the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields, appropriate attire, safety shoes, hard hat, hearing protection, etc.
- Debut Biotech is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
To learn more about Debut, please see:
DIC, Debut Biotech Team Up to Develop and Bio-Manufacture Natural Pigments for More Sustainable Food Colorants and Cosmetics: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210728005386/en/DIC-Debut-Biotech-Team-Up-to-Develop-and-Bio-Manufacture-Natural-Pigments-for-More-Sustainable-Food-Colorants-and-Cosmetics
DSM Agrees to Evaluate Debut’s Scalable Cell-Free Manufacturing Platform (Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News): https://www.genengnews.com/topics/bioprocessing/dsm-agrees-to-evaluate-debut-biotechs-scalable-cell-free-manufacturing-platform/
Next gen cell-free biomanufacturing could unlock opportunities to synthesize natural ingredients (Food Navigator-USA): https://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/Article/2021/03/23/Next-gen-cell-free-biomanufacturing-could-unlock-opportunities-to-biosynthesize-far-wider-set-of-natural-ingredients-claims-startup
Company website: https://debutbiotech.com