Debut Biotech is a high-growth company located in sunny San Diego, CA. At the heart of our ethos is the ability of synthetic biology to create over 60% of the material inputs for society to provide a sustainable future. While many have attempted to achieve this goal using traditional fermentation, no platform can convert low-cost renewable feedstocks into ANY material; our advanced biomanufacturing platform will be the first. At Debut, we promise that your day-to-day innovation will drive us closer to realizing this critical vision and that failure is OK when shooting for the stars; if you’re not failing, you’re not pushing hard enough. We genuinely believe that Debut will be THE biomanufacturing company and the vision for a better tomorrow motivates our team. If you are passionate, like fast-paced innovation and close-knit teams, then Debut is for you.
Debut is seeking a project manager to execute commercial timelines and partnerships at our location in San Diego. The candidate will lead multi-disciplinary biomanufacturing teams and will be responsible for procurement and delivery, planning, capital equipment purchase, executing projects at pilot scale, leading partnerships updates to senior management, delivery on ingredient to customers, and CMO activity. This job is vital as Debut is commercializing our first ingredients as well as advancing partnerships with external customers. The candidate will be responsible for managing $50M+ of projects and precision execution is required. The hire will give technical reports and presentation, document all aspects of the project, assist in QC/QA, and ensure that all documentation is ready for internal and external audits.
- A Bachelor of Science degree, and 5 years of project management experience.
- Demonstrated project management in the life sciences field or similar projects.
- Utilizes project management software for real time monitoring and reporting of project progress.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with ability to make clear decisions.
- An understanding of biomanufacturing.
- Has led scientific teams before with proven success.
- Works with an interdepartmental team to complete an assigned project on time, to specifications, and with accuracy and efficiency.
- Outlines the tasks involved in the project and delegates accordingly.
- Conducts cost analysis, estimating expected costs for the project.
- Prepares and implements a budget based on estimates.
- Conducts risk assessments; reports identified risks to management; provides recommendations for mitigation of risk (including termination of the project if appropriate).
- Addresses questions, concerns, and/or complaints throughout the project.
- Acts as a liaison between company, customers, and vendors.
- Communicates and collaborates with sales and marketing teams to provide training and information required to promote and sell new projects, programs, and systems.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, local, industry, contractual, and company regulations, standards, specifications, and best practices.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Experience in pilot scale bioproduction, fermentation and downstream processing, and purchasing/installation of capital equipment is a bonus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Thorough understanding of or the ability to quickly learn about the project or product being developed.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check.
- Must be willing to work with biohazardous agents (up to BSL2).
- Work requires sufficient hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate computer keyboard and office equipment. Laboratory operations require dexterity and care to perform studies as required.
- The R&D laboratory will result in exposure to hot and cold temperatures, noise, fumes, limited dust, and oily coolants.
- Requires walking, climbing stairs, bending and occasional lifting of material up to fifty (50) pounds.
- The performance of this position will present exposure to an industrial environment and requires support and compliance with the published Company PPE policy including but not limited to the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields, appropriate attire, safety shoes, hard hat, hearing protection, etc.
- Debut Biotech is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
- 6% Matched 401K program
- Dental, health, and vision insurance
- 20 days PTO
- Stock options
- Flexible schedule
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $75,000.00 – $125,000.00 per year