Debut Biotech is a high-growth company located in sunny San Diego, CA. At the heart of our ethos is the ability of synthetic biology to create over 60% of the material inputs for society to provide a sustainable future. While many have attempted to achieve this goal, there is no platform that can convert low-cost renewable feedstocks into ANY material; Debut will be the first using their advanced biomanufacturing platform. At Debut, we promise that your day-to-day innovation will drive us closer to realizing this critical vision and that failure is OK when shooting for the stars; if you’re not failing, you’re not pushing hard enough. We genuinely believe that Debut will be THE innovation company, and our team is driven on this vision. If you are passionate, like fast-paced innovation and close-knit teams, then Debut is for you.
Debut Biotechnology is seeking a Fermentation Associates to aid in microbial fermentation processes for production of enzymes and small molecules in our new Pilot laboratory. Your duties will include operating pilot scale bioreactors, collecting and processing samples, preparing fermentation experiment documents, and participating in data analysis and process development/improvement discussions. This role will work closely with other fermentation team members and Pilot staff, and collaborate cross-functionally with other teams to ensure continuity between research and production operations as well as downstream technology processes
- Setup, operate and maintain 5-20L glass bioreactors and 100L+ stainless steel bioreactors for successful fermentation production campaigns
- Follow, revise and initiate batch production records and standard operating procedures and collect and process data
- Troubleshoot equipment and process issues and ensure equipment and materials are available as required for each production run
- Perform manual equipment cleaning and sterilization as well as clean in place (CIP), pressure test (PT), and steam in place (SIP) operations
- Participate in the preparation of technical reports and technology transfers.
- Operate and maintain support equipment – YSI analyzers, pH meters, CO2 analyzers, pH and DO probes, pipettors, autoclaves, dishwasher and CIP skid
- Media, buffer and chemical solution preparation
- Must be willing to work non-standard hours supporting a 24/7 operation including weekends
- Minimum of BS in Chemical/Biochemical Engineering, Biology or related field
- 2+ years biotech industry experience in microbial or cell culture operations
- Experience in fermentation at the pilot scale with the operation of >20L fermenters and seed trains including the set-up, operation, SIP, and CIP of bioreactor systems.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and projects simultaneously
- The ability to work in a team-oriented environment and give and receive constructive feedback
- Analytical, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and adaptable
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check.
- Must be willing to work with biohazardous agents (up to BSL2).
- Work requires sufficient hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate computer keyboard and office equipment. Laboratory operations require dexterity and care to perform studies as required.
- The R&D laboratory will result in exposure to hot and cold temperatures, noise, fumes, limited dust, and oily coolants.
- Requires walking, climbing stairs, bending and occasional lifting of material up to fifty (50) pounds.
- The performance of this position will present exposure to an industrial environment and requires support and compliance with the published Company PPE policy including but not limited to the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields, appropriate attire, safety shoes, hard hat, hearing protection, etc.
- Debut Biotech is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
To learn more about Debut please visit:
DSM Agrees to Evaluate Debut’s Scalable Cell-Free Manufacturing Platform (Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News): https://www.genengnews.com/topics/bioprocessing/dsm-agrees-to-evaluate-debut-biotechs-scalable-cell-free-manufacturing-platform/
Next gen cell-free biomanufacturing could unlock opportunities to synthesize natural ingredients (Food Navigator-USA): https://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/Article/2021/03/23/Next-gen-cell-free-biomanufacturing-could-unlock-opportunities-to-biosynthesize-far-wider-set-of-natural-ingredients-claims-startup
Debut Biotech Awarded $1M from Air Force Research Lab for aerospace applications of cell-free biomanufacturing (PRWeb): https://www.prweb.com/releases/debut_biotechnology_awarded_1m_from_air_force_research_lab_to_leverage_cell_free_continuous_biomanufacturing_in_aerospace_applications/prweb17394934.htm
Company website: https://debutbiotech.com