Debut Biotech is a high-growth company located in sunny San Diego, CA. At the heart of our ethos is the ability of synthetic biology to create over 60% of the material inputs for society to provide a sustainable future. While many have attempted to achieve this goal using traditional fermentation, no platform can convert low-cost renewable feedstocks into ANY material; our advanced biomanufacturing platform will be the first. At Debut, we promise that your day-to-day innovation will drive us closer to realizing this critical vision and that failure is OK when shooting for the stars; if you’re not failing, you’re not pushing hard enough. We genuinely believe that Debut will be THE biomanufacturing company and the vision for a better tomorrow motivates our team. If you are passionate, like fast-paced innovation and close-knit teams, then Debut is for you.
As a fermentation engineer you will optimize fermentation processes and media to maximize small molecule production of our engineered cell lines and scale up the production to pilot and commercial scale. You will work closely with other functional groups to thoughtfully design fermentation runs and execute them with precision. You will support process troubleshooting, our downstream processing team, and will provide detailed observations of experiments, record data, assists with the analysis of results, and identify deviations with experiments and seeks appropriate advice to resolve. You must be able to operate lab and pilot fermentation equipment independently, including operational support for fermentation over weekends. You must be capable of preparing media, buffers, and solutions for fermentations at 30L and 1000+L scale and perform routine procedures of moderate complexity, such as kit assays and gravimetric analysis of solids and washed solids. You must work in a close team framework, with both individual responsibility and support of other staff.
- BS or MS with 3+ years’ experience in microbiology or fermentation
- Experience with fermentation equipment at bench and pilot scale
- Experience with media and process optimization to improve fermentation titers
- Experience with E. coli is a plus
- Experience in batch control and QA/QC
- The ability to work in a team-oriented environment
- Demonstrated track record of working on teams cross-functionally to exceed goals
- Analytical, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and adaptable
- Motivated by a sense of urgency, attention to detail, and an engrained penchant for professional development of themselves and their co-workers
- Must be willing to work non-standard hours supporting a 24/7 operation including weekends
- Employment is subject to a criminal background check.
- Must be willing to work with biohazardous agents (up to BSL2).
- Work requires sufficient hand, arm, and finger dexterity to operate computer keyboard and office equipment. Laboratory operations require dexterity and care to perform studies as required.
- The R&D laboratory will result in exposure to hot and cold temperatures, noise, fumes, limited dust, and oily coolants.
- Requires walking, climbing stairs, bending and occasional lifting of material up to fifty (50) pounds.
- The performance of this position will present exposure to an industrial environment and requires support and compliance with the published Company PPE policy including but not limited to the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields, appropriate attire, safety shoes, hard hat, hearing protection, etc.
- Debut Biotech is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
- 6% Matched 401K program
- Dental, health, and vision insurance
- 20 days PTO
- Stock options
- Flexible schedule
- Maternity and paternity leave
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $110,000.00 – $150,000.00 per year